Foxcover bank on the Newbottle wagonway, this linked the collieries and mines around Bournmoor with the staithes on the River Wear, the wagonway closed sometime during the 1870's. Coal was then transported via the North Eastern Railways "Penshaw Branch". The NER granted the Lambton railway running rights from Penshaw to Pallion junction.
This picture is looking towards the summit of Foxcover bank where Foxcover stationary engine was located, the site of the engine has mostly been lost due to construction of a cutting for the A19. The area is now locally know as the "Black woods"